Thursday, October 1, 2009

Last Run before the Big One

OBJECTIVE
1 mi.@ warm-up @ recovery pace
2 mi.@ half marathon pace
1 mi.@ cool-down @ recovery pace

ACHIEVED
1 mi. WU
2 mi.@ 6:56/
1 mi. CD

5:17 AM 71° 95% 0 mph

My legs felt pretty good today. My energy level was low. I'm sure that's from the carbohydrate depletion over the last 3 days. The good news is that carb loading begins today. In fact, I indulged in 4 ginger snaps before today's run. The down side of loading is the accompanying bloating but it is the price to be paid to step to the starting line with more fuel and liquid "on board" than I would otherwise have.

Overall I'm feeling pretty apprehensive about the marathon. For five months I've focused on my goals every single day. I believe I've done everything necessary to accomplish the objective. However in the end there's uncertainty. It's difficult to know how things are going to line up until you're actually in the moment. I've tried to eliminate all of the variables but realize at the eleventh hour that is impossible.

Perusing the weather forecasts yesterday I found some disturbing predictions. First it's supposedly going to be warmer than I'd prefer. Something anywhere from 33-45° at the start and 72-85° for the high in St. George. For me the closer to 50°; the better. The disturbing part is the forecast for wind is anywhere from 7-15 mph at the start and 18-19 in St. George with gusts up to 54 mph! First of all, I'm telling myself they really can't predict the top speed wind gusts accurately or maybe they're wrong about the direction (from the SSW ... interestingly the course runs due south). Anyway I'm going to look again to see if there have been any favorable revisions now that it's 24 hours closer than when I last checked.

PRE RUN
weight=158
ginger snaps & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, orange juice & frosted mini wheats w/skim milk

No comments: