Monday, November 17, 2008

Cold Morning Shakeout

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. easy (> 8:38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.01 mi.@ 8:18/mi.

5:27 AM

It was a cold morning. I believe somewhere in the mid-30's. I broke out my tights for the first time this fall and wore 2 tech shirts, hat and gloves.

I met Aaron at Randall's. We covered the 4 miles that is the Stuebner-Airline Loop. I'm still sore from Saturday. My recovery isn't as quick as I thought it would be. It may be that I underestimated how hard I pushed. It could also be that I didn't stretch and reload for proper recovery after the race. Of course I gorged on free food but it wasn't exactly what I needed for recovery.

Speaking of food and eating, ever since the marathon I've pretty much had an anything-goes-approach to eating. At one point over the weekend, I weighed in at 10 pounds heavier than my marathon weight. I'm not too concerned since I don't have a big event soon but I do need to apply a bit more discipline to my eating.

The Pasadena marathon was cancelled yesterday due to smoke and ash from wild fires in the area. My friend, Alex, was scheduled to run and, at one point, we had discussed the possibility of me joining him. I suspect they'll end up with a rescheduled date.

BYU's cross country teams participated in regionals over weekend. The men took third and are waiting to hear about advancing to Nationals. Their top runner was second overall. The women had a disappointing day and only their top finisher will advance to Nationals.

Last week I mentioned the incredible women's team at University of Washington. As a reminder, they swept the top 5 places at the PAC-10 championship. Not surprisingly, they won the West Regional over the weekend. Their top finishers placed 2 - 6. Okay ... now for the surprise. They rested their top 2 runners! How's that for depth? I can't imagine another team challenging them at Nationals in Terre Haute.

PRE RUN
weight = 159.5#
apple juice

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin & oatmeal w/flax, brown sugar, ginger snap granola & 1% milk

No comments: