Saturday, April 4, 2009

Solid Long Run

OBJECTIVE
10 mi.@ 8:09/mi.

ACHIEVED
12.48 mi.@ 8:10/mi.

6:58 AM 61F 91% 5 mph

Turned in a solid run today thanks to getting back with the group for a run. It almost didn't happen. I was a little late getting away from the house for our scheduled 6:30 meeting at the Memorial Park pool. As I was speeding to the meeting, I was surprised to find 290 was closed! How this happens around 6 AM on a Saturday morning, I don't understand. I did a bit of car texting (never okay for others but fine for me) to let the group know to start without me. I know I don't like waiting for others and don't feel anyone has to do the same for me. In a decisive maneuver, I took the Jetta off-roading to get off the freeway and on to the feeder road. The feeder was slow too. Anyway, long story - short. I made it about 10 minutes late but another guy, Adam, was coming in the same way and was behind me. The group started running at 7.

Today's iteration consisted of Stacey, Laurie, Randy, Jonathan, Adam (invited by Stacey and known by Jonathan), and me. The group was chippy and fast today. Pulled along by Stacey and Adam. Randy and Jonathan took turns at the lead too. Group dynamics are strange. It's hard to tell who's pressing the group along. I was actually pretty happy. The pace was even and about exactly where I wanted to be for the day. Laurie is a couple weeks from Boston and says her training has been bad. I'm not exactly sure if she wanted to be that fast today while in tapering mode but she did hang in there. At the end she commented, it was a marathon pace run for her. Maybe in the end she was fine with the pace.

Adam was fast and effortless. I could see this was a very easy run for him. The same could be said of Jonathan although his ankle was bothering by the end. It was good to see him. He and Julie will be new parents in about 3 weeks.

I'm glad to have this good run in the books and hope the group gets together again next Saturday. I'm wondering about my training schedule only calling for 10 mile long runs as I lead up to the half in Ogden. It seems a bit short ....

PRE RUN
water, oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast & Clif Bar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A significant day.....