Wednesday, December 24, 2008

This One was Tough!

OBJECTIVE
25K Antelope Island Christmas Eve Striders' group run

ACHIEVED
11.7 mi.@ 14:52/mi. (No, this is not a typo! It took 2:53:49 to go less than 12 miles!)

8:33 AM 19° 70% 12 mph

This was a tough "run". The course was supposed to be the 25K/50K Buffalo Run course on Antelope Island but was modified due to the "course master" not being with the group to run today.

Brandon picked me up and we drove to the gate of Antelope Island State Park. We waited for others as the plan was to carpool over the causeway to the island. You never really know what to expect at group runs. This group wasn't quite as welcoming as what I'm used to in my group at home. Maybe it was just that everyone was focused on getting their run and didn't want to be slowed down by the new guys. Brandon and I were equipped for the run okay but it was fairly clear we weren't experienced with this type of run. We were wearing cold weather gear and YakTrax. The others were wearing better cold weather gear and trail shoes.

Before I go on, I can summarize the run with this elevation graphic:



I didn't realize we were in for this type of terrain. It was rocky and snowy. Most of the way was covered with 4 - 8" of snow. Brandon and I (like everyone else) walked most of the extreme uphill sections. While running, I had to focus on where my foot was landing with each stride. The terrain was uneven. The YakTrax were a tremendous help and allowed for some confidence. I realized I was dealing with basically everything that I never see while running roads in Houston: snow, cold, elevation, and terrain. It was mentally and physically taxing.

We cut it a bit short on the return leg. I had had enough and Brandon had too. We traipsed back in; alternating running and walking. This was a tough one. But I'm glad I did it. The experience helped confirm for me that I'm a road rather than trail runner.

Later I plan to upload a few pictures taken while we were on the island here.

PRE RUN
orange juice & oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
apple cider & brownies
Later, Clif bar, water, & puffed wheat crisp cereal w/1% milk

No comments: