Monday, December 22, 2008

Brandon Gets the Headline

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. Slow (>8:38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.32 mi.@ 8:54/mi.

7:12 AM 36° 75% 19 mph

I had the opportunity to run with my brother-in-law, Brandon Arnell, this morning. This was a good run; just what I needed to stretch out my legs after Saturday's long run and the plane ride (a/k/a 3-hour leg stiffening!).

A couple observations from today's run. First, when in Utah I'm always reminded that Utah is on the western most boundary of the Mountain Time Zone. Houston is in the middle of the Central Time Zone. That means the sunrise and sunset fall at much different times than what I'm used to in Houston. Of course, my body clock is generally screwed up from the one-hour time difference anyway.

Second, people think I run fast but they shouldn't. I commented to someone recently that I "train slow so I can race fast". But it's all relative, right? I never feel fast enough when I'm racing! I mention this because Brandon had a concern about not being able to keep up or go as far etc. etc. etc. .... But he was just fine. The pace and distance was all I wanted today.

Brandon is going to be running in Ogden in May (half or full marathon, I'm not sure ... ???) then the Wasatch Back Relay in June. It sounds like his training is going fine. He's following Hal Higdon's plan which is a good one. I've followed a bit of Higdon's concepts myself. Particularly for marathon recovery in the week's following that long, hard effort.

There's snow on the ground but the roads were dry this morning. The temperature was cold but the only time I noticed it was immediately before we started. Once we got going, I was fine. In fact, I ended up being a bit too warm before we finished.

PRE RUN
water & GrapeNuts & 1% milk

POST RUN
In the stupor of the holiday food fest that's going on, I don't actually recall so I'll just say ... JUNK!

No comments: