Thursday, December 25, 2008

Still, Still, Still

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. slow (> 8:38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.58 mi.@ 8:39/mi.

7:26 AM 34° 75% 32 mph snow

Except for the wind, everything was very still during this Christmas morning run. Yes, it was blowing hard. Yes, it was snowing during the second half of the run. But there was very little traffic. I spied through a couple living room windows as I passed by and saw families in pajamas opening gifts. It was a peaceful run. I was glad to get out after yesterday's peculiar "run". My legs had a very slight soreness and my body overall was a bit sore too. I think it was the uneven ground of yesterday's run and perhaps the shoveling of snow in the driveway the day before. I feel pretty good and I'm looking for a good run tomorrow.

Two things happened during today's run. First, with about a mile to go, a guy was stuck in a snow bank on the side of the road. I stopped to try helping push him out. After some back and forth rocking followed by a big push, we were close to getting him back on the road. But for some reason, he got out of his car said, he would try it on his own because he "didn't want my blood pressure to get too low." I have no idea what that means. I'm sure he meant something about my running and that he was trying to politely dismiss me. So I wished him a Merry Christmas and ventured on.

Shortly after the stuck car, some horses in a nearby field began braying. There wasn't anything going on and I looked back to see them. I saw nothing. Then a bird made a strange sound. I didn't have to wonder long what this was about as about 90 seconds later the wind really picked up. So much so that it was howling there the trees of the river bottoms where I was running. It was the storm front moving in. The animals knew it shortly before I sensed it. Then the snow started flying. This snow seemed fitting for Christmas morning. I pressed on oddly enjoying the Christmas morning scene.

Once I turned for home and hit the freeway overpass the wind was in my face. It was a fierce breeze driving the snow squarely into my face. A snowflake hit my eyeball. I wondered if the sharp edges of a driven snowflake could actually cut the fragile membrane of an eyeball. Yes, it was painful! I closed my eyes and tried to make my body area as small as possible to thwart to negative influence of the winds. I was close enough to being finished that I found some fun in it.

Finally, it was over. I was snow-encrusted from head to toe. I'm sure the occasional passerby must have wondered about that crazy Christmas morning runner.

It was a good run.


PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
water, hash browns, sausage, bacon & toast w/raspberry jam (Calodie's - a Christmas morning family tradition)

No comments: