Saturday, December 27, 2008

Gutting One Out

OBJECTIVE
20 mi. Easy (8:08-38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
20.85 mi.@ 8:28/mi.

6:31 AM 73° 79% 19 mph

This was a tough one. I got back home late last night. I knew I didn't want to take on a 20-miler by myself but almost all of Stephanie's group is out of town and ChampionsFit's run today is "unofficial". Aaron is also out of town. Fortunately, Stephanie gave me a heads up that the Bayou City Road Runners were doing a 21-miler that was supported and open to all-comers.

I arrived at the start point only a few minutes early then the group started. I didn't see anyone I knew even though the group must have been about 50 runners. I took off in the darkness with strangers. Fortunately, Laurie found me before we had gone a mile. Then Jonathan showed up too. Jonathan didn't hang with us for very long as it looked like he has staying with his Tornado running buddies. Laurie and I ran the whole route together. I was glad she was with me today.

The course was well marked and there were water stops (manned and unmanned) about every 3 miles. The route took me through the Tanglewood area which I haven't run in before today.

It wasn't the best of days for me. My traveling (just got in last night) and bad nutrition over the past week certainly didn't help matters. Laurie kept us on a decent pace but around Mile 15 or 16 the wheels pretty much came off for me. My legs were getting heavier with each stride and overall fatigue was setting in. I gutted it out but with about a mile or so do go, we missed a turn along the route and ended up adding a bit of unplanned distance. At this point in the run, I was quite disheartened. I pressed on but as soon as I hit the planned distance, I mentally and physically shut it down. Laurie kept on while I walked it in over the last half mile.

It seems strange that this is the last long run of this cycle. If I'm running either the Houston marathon or Phoenix marathon, the taper begins Monday. This cycle has been abbreviated and I don't feel like l've been as disciplined. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

PRE RUN
weight = 162#
FRS liquid concentrate & oatmeal w/sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast, breakfast burrito, sausage, bacon, grapefruit juice

No comments: