Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Run in the Snow

OBJECTIVE
6 mi. Easy (8:08-38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.58 mi.@ 8:30/mi.

11:59 AM 25° 86% 10 mph light snow

I got a late start on this run as I was trying to wait out the snow storm that was moving through this morning. However by waiting, I ended up short circuiting my run since I had to get back to meet my parents for lunch. We went to Maddox which Paige and I really enjoy and, of course, can't get in Houston.

Yesterday I picked up some YakTrax to run with in the snow. Sometime ago I remember reading they are the best snow and ice traction device for running. I demoed them today as there was a pretty good accumulation from yesterday's storm and again from this morning's flurries. They seemed to work pretty good. At least I had more confidence in my footing than I otherwise would have had.

It was still snowing during much of my run. But I enjoy going down by the river and along the train tracks in Uintah. It seems that road shouldn't be as busy as I've found it the past couple days. Teenage girls with cell phones on slick roads scare me!

Unique things I saw along today's run: mallard ducks in the Weber River and a mail truck stuck in the snow along the day's delivery route.

Tomorrow's a big running day. I've been looking forward to it for a few weeks. Now that it's here, I have some apprehension. Striders Running is hosting a 25K Christmas Eve run on Antelope Island along the 25K and 50K Buffalo Run course. All of this seems like a wonderful idea. However, I'm now having second thoughts. It's going to be snowy and cold and on trails that I doubt have been groomed. I'll also be running with a group that I have never met so if I die along the way ... maybe they'll just leave me ...! Being from Houston, my running wardrobe is generally light on winter attire. It looks like there's a bailout option as the course is a figure 8 that I can probably just make the first loop for approximately 8 miles if I'm having problems. It should be an adventure. I'm trying to figure out a way to take my camera in case we see some wildlife but I've got to carry gel and liquid first and my tights just don't seem to have enough pockets for that!

If you don't hear back soon, send a rescue party to Antelope Island. I'll be the under dressed, frozen guy much like Preston Blake in the movie Mr. Deeds.




PRE RUN
???

POST RUN
???

No comments: