Friday, December 26, 2008

Ice & Snow

OBJECTIVE
6 mi. Easy (8:08-38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
6.36 mi.@ 8:32

11:18 AM 18F 68% 8 mph

Like each of my runs in Utah, this was a tough one. A storm dumped a bunch of snow in the afternoon and evening yesterday. The roads were covered with snow and ice. It was cold.

I wore my YakTrax which helped a lot. But running in snow and ice definitely requires more work.

On the return trip, the wind was squarely in my face which was not pleasant at all. Surprisingly I didn't notice the wind much going out.

Late in the run, I was quizzing myself, "Why am I doing this?" The answer came quickly. "So I can out kick people half my age like I did in Dana Point." It's only an example but the ability to compete is a powerful sensation for me.

Next month I hope to run my best marathon ever and qualify for the Boston marathon. Hopefully this week's challenging help me accomplish that goal.

I've also been thinking about altitude training. There is an adage that says endurance athletes should "live high and train low". I don't understand the physiology but I know elite runners cycle through high altitude locations in California, Arizona, and Colorado in an effort to gain a physiological advantage. I'm aware that Indiana Elite recently spent a week of training in Park City, Utah with some measured benefits. Could my week in Utah have similarly benefited me? I'll be watching for any noticeable improvement with curiosity.

I'm scheduled for a long run tomorrow but may have trouble finding someone to share it with.

PRE RUN
oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
???

No comments: