Sunday, November 2, 2008

November 2 - 8 Training Schedule

Sun: rest
Mon: 3 - 4 miles slow
Tue: 6 - 8 miles easy
Wed: 6 miles with 7x2 min. @ CV w/2 min. jogging recovery
Thu: 3 - 4 miles slow
Fri: 6 - 8 miles easy
Sat: 12 - 14 miles easy (last 2 miles @ MP)

I am setting my paces for this training cycle as follows:

Easy = 8:08 - 8:38 per mile
Critical Velocity (CV) = 6:26 per mile
Marathon Pace (MP) = 7:38 per mile

There are 11 weeks until January 18 which is the date of the Phoenix marathon. This week will offer a good test for me to see where I am fitness- and recovery-wise after the St. George marathon and my relative easy subsequent weeks. I'll adapt the training schedule based on how I'm feeling.

I forgot to mention that I went to the Texas High School District 13-5A Championship meet last Friday. It's fun to watch the kids run and see the over-exuberance of almost all of them starting out way too fast. They also don't really have a concept of working together as a team which I believe would make a huge difference in meets of that type given the scoring that is used. Anyway here's a picture of my favorite runner of the day. He took 12th place in the junior varsity event.





While I'm on the topic of high school cross country, I want to give a huge congratulations to Syracuse High whose boys' team took 6th and girls took 7th at the Utah State Championship meet. The school opened in 2007 and had the extreme good fortune of Coach Roger Buhrley joining the staff. Coach Buhrley is a Utah coaching legend with far too many accolades to mention here. Suffice it to say, he's done it all ... several times. Many years ago Coach Buhrley introduced me to cross country and I find many of the lessons learned from him then help me with my running today. Thanks, Coach, and congratulations to you the Titans of Syracuse High.

1 comment:

Diane B said...

Looking good Cam!
XO Gram