Thursday, December 13, 2007

Overdressed

OBJECTIVE
3 miles : no pace

ACHIEVED
3.01 : 24:36 = (8:10 min./mile)

4:17 AM 45 89% 7 mph mist

I missed yesterday's hill workout due to work commitments and an evening meeting for Cameron's High Adventure trip next summer (I just may go on that trip. It involves running and biking among other things.). The day off from running may have been good for me ...??? So I went out this morning for an easy 3 miles. It had been raining throughout the night and it was around 40 with high humidity so, naturally I expected it to be cold ... and therefore overdressed! Two layers top and bottom with gloves and knit cap. It was too much!

Not much to report about the run. I felt sluggish throughout and tried to pick it up a bit over the last mile. My ITB's offered no problem during the run but were achy throughout the past two days.

Two items of note from today. First, Cameron broke his nose lifting weights after school today. It's a long story which I'm sure we'll never completely know. Seems though that it was an incredibly fluky situation.


The second item is that I had lunch with Jonathan today. It was great to have the chance to talk about his debut marathon in Dallas last weekend. He had a fantastic run with a strange situation at the end ... hyperglycemia and hypothermia! But he's feeling great and ready to go. He'll be running the Houston marathon in 5 short weeks so he's getting ready for that upcoming effort.

Jonathan got me thinking. While talking about my injury situation, he posed the possibility that my recovery may be influenced by my nutrition. I hadn't really given that idea any consideration. But it led me the think about it. The thought process led me to the question, "What am I doing different today than I was doing during marathon training?" Two things were obvious - nutrition and weight training.

For a majority of my training for St. George I stuck to a very simple diet. I've since gotten away from it thinking that I was improving my diet but I may in fact be cheating myself out of nutrients necessary for quicker, more efficient recovery.

As for weight training, I tapered down leading up to the marathon then tapered out and picked it back up for a couple weeks then quit entirely thinking that it may somehow be contributing to my injury. Having arrived at this tentative conclusion, I've tentatively decided to scrap my current nutritional regime and go back to what I was doing for St. George. I'm going to hold off on a return to weight training for now because I want to try to isolate the variables as much as possible.

Thanks for being the catalyst for this concept, Jonathan. Hopefully this leads me back to where I want to be.

After my run, I had a decent stretch and did some high kicks on a step for my ITB's. No abs ... again.

PRE RUN
1/2 Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, water & 800 mg Ibuprofen
Later: poached egg, whole wheat English muffin, & water

No comments: