Saturday, January 23, 2010

*** New 5K PR ***

OBJECTIVE
Dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up @ 8:36-9:46
5K tune-up race - Run The Woodlands 5K Series
1.5 mi. cool-down @ 8:36-9:46

ACHIEVED
1.62 mi. WU @ 8:35
dynamic stretch
Run The Woodlands 5K - official time 19:30
1.72 mi. CD @ 8:40

Race start = 7:59 AM 64° 93% 1 mph

I didn't know if I was ready for this one. I wanted to PR but wasn't fully committed to the pain required for that type of effort. Got myself geared up and tried to mentally commit. Used Greg McMillan's GoZone racing strategy. The theme for today seemed to be "it takes courage". Honestly, I felt like I was going to die the whole way.

With a little less than a mile to go, I knew I was in 2nd place (this is a small but good race; well-run on a certified course). There is a 90° left turn at that point. I looked over my shoulder and saw a woman stalking me. I knew who it was and I knew what it meant. It was Sabra Harvey. She happens to be world-class athlete. Why was she behind me? Well, because she happens to be +60 years old. As best I can tell she currently holds the women's +60 American records for 1500m and 1-mile road. She holds +60 women's world records for 800m, 5K and 8K road. Her resume includes other cool things like 2007 women's masters Runner of the Year.

I could hear her footfalls getting closer and thought to myself, "This woman has raced all over the world. She's going to reel my in like a lifeless carp." Figuring she is tactically my superior, I just decided to gut it out and do everything possible to hold her off. Go down fighting or die trying! She was getting closer. But this turned out to be a tremendous help. I had been running by myself as the leader left me about 1/2 mile in. With Harvey pressing me, I was no longer thinking about my misery. Rather I was thinking about competing; racing. With 1/10 mile to go, she was close. I don't know how close as I was afraid to look back and break what little form I had left. A spectator called out to her as I passed. She was close and closing! I gave it everything I had. Pain is temporary, right? And we can all go anaerobic for at least a short burst. I told myself, "This is why I train." I found another gear and deeper resolve. I crossed the line at 19:30 - a 13 second PR for me.

I'm thrilled to have it in the books and honored to have met Ms. Harvey on course today.

PRE RUN
water & oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast & water

5 comments:

Diane B said...

Awesome! Fun to read your "account". I re-read wondering if I had missed something, did you cross the line before her?

Mary Beth Coudal said...

The folks over 60 who run competitively can really kick it into gear. But then again, anyone on my heels makes me run faster, especially one of my kids. http://runningaground.wordpress.com/
Tomorrow, I run!

pcb said...

How dramatic!

Josh said...

Congratulations, Cory! It's easy to forget that PR's don't just grow on trees- you should definitely appreciate each one!

Cory said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Mom, Does it really matter if I beat her or not? Isn't it just about me doing my best? Yes, I beat her and yes, she's your age.

MB - No doubt any age-group elite runner can pick 'em up and put 'em down. Several of Ms. Harvey's age-graded times are around 98%. That's pretty much unheard of. By comparison, my age-graded time for this race translates to ~70%.

Paige, The drama keeps you coming back for more.

Thanks, Josh. The PR's definitely don't come as easy as they once did. I suppose to some extent I'm working against my aging body and a plateau in fitness.