Thursday, September 24, 2009

Some Help From the Weather

OBJECTIVE
1 mi. warm-up @ 8:37-9:47
7 mi.@ 6:59/mi.
1 mi. cool-down @ 8:37-9:47

ACHIEVED
1 mi. WU
7 mi.@ 6:58/
1 mi. CD

total time = 1:07:45
total distance = 9.03 mi.

5:54 AM 64° 80% 1 mph

Look at that temperature! It's actually dropping down to a nice comfortable running climate and today's run reflects it!

Drove to the Y for my 7-mile tempo run. As usual the tempo run looms ominously in front of me. Can I do it?

Yes! I actually hammered this one "out of the park" and felt good doing it. I just focused on "staying in the mile". By doing this, my splits ended up being nice and tight:

7:06/6:52/6:59/7:04/6:57/6:58/6:49

Throwing out the 17 second variation between my fastest (last) and slowest (first) mile, the spread is 12 seconds. I'll blame that on dodging traffic on Eldridge and making the U-turn during Mile 4.

This was a good confidence builder. As I was cooling down with a mile back to the car, I wondered if going this hard with only 9 days until the marathon was a good idea. I think it's fine. I vaguely recall doing something like this before when I ended up having a good marathon (I think it was last year's St. George).

PRE RUN
weight=160.5
water & ginger snaps

POST RUN
SlimFast
water, multivitamin & oatmeal w/brown sugar, flax, almonds & skim milk

No comments: