Saturday, August 8, 2009

Richard Bouchard Memorial 10K

6.13 mi.@ 41:17

7:09 AM 54° 65% 2 mph

41:17 (Garmin) (official time [40:32] was definitely wrong)
6.13 mi. (Garmin)
Sixth place overall
First place age group and masters


My plan was to race. I generally raced well. The winner was a former collegiate runner and finished around 33. It was clear from the start I wouldn't be spending much time with him. A few other young guys went with the leader. I hung back and picked off a few after the 5K and 10K route split after about .5 mile. Around Mile 2, I was running with another guy who I suspected was a masters runner (I was right. After the race, I found out he was in my age group.) I suggested that we work together. He agreed then promptly fell in behind me. Where he stayed until I got separation a little before Mile 5.



I passed another guy in the sixth mile. Two other guys running together had a huge gap on me. I elected to gradually press the pace hoping they would fade. They didn't. In hindsight, I wish I would have immediately focused on catching them as soon as passing the other runner. They most likely had an insurmountable lead but I failed to give myself a chance by just settling in.

I finished strong and felt good doing it. I probably had a little too much left in the tank at the finish.

Overall, I'm pleased with my race. If this were a certified course, it would have been a new PR by 39 seconds.




Each of my three sisters ran today. So did my wife and son, two brothers-in-law and a niece. It was a fun day for all of us to share together.

4 comments:

pcb said...

You had to put the picture that made me look the fattest right? Attention everyone: My legs and hips aren't as fat as that picture makes them look!

Steph said...

Congratulations Cory, you brought hardware home!! 1st Masters, that's an achievement, and a great time too!!

I hope you feel good about your performance.

Take care,
Steph

Cory said...

Thank you, Steph. Immediately following the race, I was pleased with my effort and result. As time has passed and I've analyzed it, I've been a bit disappointed. There were a couple of points along the way where I could have pushed harder or had a different mental approach. Maybe it would have made a difference.

Don't they say you should always go with your first impression ... ?

Shaury said...

You totally could have won it all. Slacker! :)