Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Ever-So-Fine Line

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up @ 8:37-9:47
3.5 mi. @ 6:39
1.5 mi. cool-down @ 8:37-9:47

ACHIEVED
dynamic stretch
1.51 mi. WU
3.5 mi.@ 6:38 (6:33/6:34/6:48/6:34 [0.5 mi.])
1.67 mi. CD

5:39 AM 79° 90% 0 mph

I guess you know you have your training paces dialed in when it's hard to time hit your times but still obtainable with focused effort.

I ran with my new Musha's again today. Wanted to see what they felt like for speed. They were fine. The 3.5 mile tempo was a challenge (it probably wasn't supposed to be as challenging as it was). I held a decent pace through two miles but was slipping. The pace was about 5 seconds faster per mile than my targeted pace. The third mile was a disaster. I was sucking wind and struggling to find any rhythm. I stuck to it and pushed really hard through the last half mile and especially the final quarter to get the overall pace back in line with my training goal for today. This isn't supposed to be how a tempo run works but I suppose I can say I hit my goal on a challenging morning run.

I wonder if I had pulled it back ever-so-slightly over the first two miles and last mile and a half would have felt any different? That's what I mean by having it dialed in about perfectly. If I go faster than the goal, I have trouble finishing the distance at the goal pace.

PRE RUN
weight=163
water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin & oatmeal w/flax, brown sugar & 1% milk

No comments: