Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back to the Track

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up @ recovery pace
8 x 400m @ 6:11 pace (92) w/3 min. active recoveries
1.5 mi. cool-down @ recovery pace

ACHIEVED
dynamic stretching
2.00 mi. WU
92/82/80/82/82/82/84/78
1.91 CD
Total distance = 7.27 mi.
Total time = 1:10:19

5:33 AM 73° 100% 0 mph

I hammered this workout pretty good ... and felt decent doing it too. It's been a while since I've been on the track for intervals. Maybe my body and mind (???) missed it! It was another humid morning (can't get higher than 100%, can it?). Even with the temperature at 73°, it was very hot. While running over to the track, I decided that I had a choice today: I figured the heat index would be adding time to my splits ... maybe something like 4 seconds for each 400. If I'd calculated correctly, my adjusted goal time would be 96 rather than 92. I decided I'd try hitting the 92 then adjust from there if necessary. In order to give myself a chance, I decided that rather than jog my recoveries between intervals that I'd walk. I honestly don't know if this is a form of "cheating" or not. Obviously I'm giving myself an improved chance at full recovery by walking rather than jogging.

Anyway I hit 92 on my first 400. I felt "okay". I hadn't pushed it and felt it was a comfortable pace. On the second 400, I popped an 82 and kind of lived there for the rest of the session. I didn't look at my Garmin during the 400's. I just ran them by feel until hearing the 5-seconds-to-finish indicator - then I'd look down and ease to the finish.

I'm happy with my consistency and happy with how I felt overall. I am wondering about my potential cheating by walking though. Did I shortchange today's efforts by doing so?

PRE RUN
water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin & oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

2 comments:

Ron said...

Hey I would like to say that your blog is very cool. I like how organized you are. Oh and by the way...awesome running.

Cory said...

Ron,

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback. My blog is still evolving. It doesn't "feel" as organized as I would like it to be yet. Seems a bit busy. But I know where everything is and find it to be a good reference.

Good luck with your training!


Cory