Saturday, January 3, 2009

15M Tapering Long Run

OBJECTIVE
15 mi. Easy (8:08-38/mi.) & 6x100 @ 5K

ACHIEVED
14.76 mi.@ 8:35/mi. (no strides)

6:41 AM 68° 91% 6 mph

Today's group included Laurie, Stacey, Michelle, Randy, William and me. Generally I felt okay. It was supposed to rain so I didn't break out a new pair of Wave Rider 11's like I was planning. In the end there was no rain and it turned out to be a fantastic morning weather-wise. Our pace was erratic but the last 7 miles were all under 8:20 except for one that was 8:23.

Quick thought: When we bought our house over 9 years ago, the realtor made a big deal about the whirlpool in the master bathroom. Paige and I really liked it. We discussed it more than once when we were making our buying decision. Here's a fact - for the first 8 years we lived in the house, I'm absolutely sure the whirlpool tub was used less than 10 times. Isn't that crazy that somehow a major buying decision was influenced by such a trivial thing? Anyway, I'm happy to report the tub is now getting some use. (Calling it a whirlpool is an overstatement in my opinion. It's a bathtub with 6 jets in it ... not a "true" whirlpool.) Oftentimes after my Saturday long runs, I stop and pick up a 15 pound bag of ice on my way home. Once I get home, I fill the tub with only cold water then add the bag of ice. Then I turn on the jets. They perfectly mix the icy water. I HATE getting into an ice bath. But it seems to help my recovery and I feel better than I otherwise would the next day. I still think it's stupid that the tub contributed to our buying decision but I'm glad that it's at least being used now!

PRE RUN
weight = 163#
FRS concentrate & oatmeal w/skim milk

POST RUN
2 SlimFast
Later, water, chocolate milk, multivitamin, Postum & ginger snap granola w/skim milk

No comments: