Saturday, June 7, 2008

Solid, Solo 10-miler

OBJECTIVE
10 mi. w/last 2 mi. @ marathon pace (MP = 7:55)

ACHIEVED
10.04 mi. @ 8:39/mi. [last 2 mi. - 7:52/7:35)

5:46 AM 79° 82% 7 mph

It was tough to get going this morning but I'm glad I did. It turned out to be a good run. I went from the Y on a solo trip. I took it out slow and tried to hold the mile pace around 8:45-8:50. The morning was warm and humid. At the turn around point, I stopped at a convenience store for a Gatorade. My knee felt a little loose but I think part of that was mental now that I have a diagnosis. With about 4 miles to go, I started seeing people from the ChampionsFit group in their way out. This was helpful in that it sparked my pace at a time when I may have fallen off some.

By the time I hit 8 miles, I really wasn't sure if I would be able to slice a minute off the pace to finish strong over the final 2 miles. But once I got going, it felt good. It's the concept Jonathan has talked about before. Basically that it can be harder to go slow than it is to go faster. It's hard to explain but it held true for me today. The last two miles felt good and I was able to hit my planned for paces.

9:13/8:49/8:46/8:49/8:49/8:45/8:51/9:03/7:52/7:35

Tinman has set my EZ pace at 8:24 - 8:54 for now. My CV pace is 6:40 and my MP is 7:55.

It looks like I'll just stick with the same weekly plan I followed this week over the next 4 weeks while I'm doing rehab. That way I keep my longest run to 10 miles (in line with Dr. Cianca's orders) but still get 34 miles each week. Assuming I get a clean bill of health in 4 weeks (how's that for optimism?), I'll have a decent base to build on for my sole goal - the 2008 St. George marathon on October 4.

PRE RUN
apple juice

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, oatmeal w/skim milk; water & multivitamin

No comments: