Saturday, May 28, 2011

OBJECTIVE
8 mi.

ACHIEVED
9.08 mi.@ 7:51

6:07 AM 78° 79% 3 mph

Ran from the Cypress Creek YMCA this morning ... in my new Mizuno Wave Rider 13's (Silver/Dress Blue/Gold Fusion edition).



I felt okay starting out. I didn't eat or drink anything before the run which may have impacted me later as I didn't take any GU or other fuel with me. I don't think I should really need fuel for a 9-miler as there should generally be enough "on board" already.

As the run evolved, I decided to block the run into segments. I wanted the overall pace to be 7:53 per mile but I also wanted to ease into it based on however I was feeling. I decided I'd just let the first 3 miles be whatever they were going to be so I ran disinterested in time for the first 3 miles. Those miles felt fine at a 3-mile average pace of 8:14. For the middle 3 miles, the idea was to hit the overall goal pace of 7:53. That 3-mile block came in at a 7:48 average pace with a break occurring at the midpoint. I was pushing ever-so-slightly past "comfortable" to hit that pace. I wanted to run the final 3 miles at whatever pace was necessary to bring the overall average pace for the run to 7:53. My calculations indicated that I needed 7:37 (in hindsight and now with the benefit of oxygen!, I'm not sure that calculation was exactly correct). My actual average pace over the final 3 miles was 7:34 - and it was a struggle. I stopped for water and two other times on the way in. Cheating - I suppose.




PRE RUN
weight=165
body fat=22.9%

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, water, multivitamin & bran flakes w/skim milk

No comments: