Thursday, August 19, 2010

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up
6.5 mi. tempo run @ 6:52
1.5 mi. cool-down

ACHIEVED
1.55 mi. WU
dynamic stretch
6.5 mi. tempo @ 7:01
1.46 mi. CD

total time = 1:14:32
total distance = 9.52 mi.

5:14 AM 80° 88% 3 mph

I don't remember ever feeling this good about missing a run this badly. The 9 seconds per mile difference between the target pace for this tempo run and what I actually ran it in is a pretty big difference. However based on the issues I've had with tempo runs, this was a big success.

I looked back to see what I run this workout in last year. I found that my target was 6:59 and that I ran it in 7:11. It was tough and I was feeling run down going into the workout. I feel the same this year and after last Thursday's tempo debacle, I wanted to prove to myself that even if I couldn't hit the 6:52 target pace for today, I at least wanted to be 1 second faster than last year's pace. That's how 7:10 became the slowest I was going to allow myself to go on this one.

It was hard and seemed to be never-ending. But I pressed on. I am very happy that I hit 7:01 and that my pace stayed near that point throughout the run. A good, hard tempo.

I obviously still have work to do to get where I need to be!

PRE RUN
weight=161
diet V8 splash, 50 mg glutamine & GrapeNuts cereal w/skim milk

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, apple juice & Kashi GoLean cereal w/skim milk

2 comments:

Steph said...

Nice work Cory. Impressive. You are much faster than me right now.
Still enjoying Brain Training for Runners, but it is really getting tough: the track workout on Tuesday was 8.5 miles including warm up and cool down!
Keep up the good work.

Cory said...

Thanks, Steph. Yes! Brain Training isn't for the faint of heart as the cycle moves into the later phases. However, I remind myself almost every day of how I felt on the course in STG last year. The training is all well worth it if I can regain that fitness and feeling on marathon day ... again .... Stick with it and it will pay back big dividends.