Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not Ready for Primetime

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up
4 mi. tempo @ 6:32
1.5 mi. cool-down

ACHIEVED
1.60 mi. WU
dynamic stretch
4 mi. tempo @ 6:40
1.52 mi. CD

total time = 56:00
total distance = 7.13 mi.

4:58 AM 77° 89% 0 mph

Things (i.e., life) have been a bit crazy lately. In summary, I missed yesterday's recovery run (bad) because I went to the theater to see Wicked Tuesday night (good). Upon getting home very late, my son wanted my help registering for his freshman college classes (good). Registration opened at 1 AM (bad). The computer system must have been overwhelmed because we couldn't get in (bad). Finally got in but most of his preferred classes were taken (bad). This caused the process to take longer (bad). I got to bed very, very late for me (bad). Work has been fairly unforgiving with the recent ramp up in merger-related integration activities (bad for my running and most likely my career opportunities with my current employer).

Okay enough excuses for missing yesterday's run. But is there something hidden in them that caused this morning's tempo run to be a flop? I'm pointing to the lack of sleep. I believe the physiological scientific evidence suggests that we "run on the night before's sleep". I'm hoping that's true. Because I felt like I was running on about half a tank today and, conveniently for my theory, I got about half a night's sleep Tuesday night. Anyone out there buying it?

PRE RUN
Amino vital & 500 mg glutamine

POST RUN
Amino vital, multivitamin & SlimFast

1 comment:

Josh said...

I'll test your theory- I'm doing my tempo run in the morning (though I'm going to see Wicked tonight). My mixed intervals yesterday morning ended up worse than your tempo. I couldn't get below HM pace, so ended up doing a 2k, 1k, and 1k at HM pace, and felt like death (but that was on 5 hours sleep). It doesn't bode well for 6 miles @ HM pace tomorrow. The weather certainly isn't helping...