Saturday, August 15, 2009

+15 Miles with The Crew

OBJECTIVE
15 mi. (first 8 mi.@ 7:47-8:36 then gradually increase pace every mile; run last mile @ 7:00)

ACHIEVED
15.23 mi.@ 8:38

5:40 AM 78° 88% 0 mph

This one didn't go exactly like I had hoped but it wasn't a bad run either. Today's version of the group was Michelle, Augie, Stacey, Randy, Josh, William, Jon and me. The group plan was to go 20 miles. My plan was only to go 15 but to make it a progression run over the last 7 miles. After 8 miles, our average pace was around 9:18. I suppose this was reflective of the heat and humidity, as well as the fact that it was a 20-miler for others in the group. The pace picked up somewhat over the next couple of miles. After a stop for water and restroom at a gas station, I decided to pick it up and try to get the most out of the remaining distance. After all the last seven miles were supposed to be a pickup run for me. Josh came with me and that really helped my pace. He dropped off at the cars to wait for the others and continue on for 8 eight miles (hard for me to imagine!). I continued around the Memorial Park loop. My pace was falling off without Josh there to help. Thankfully a high school cross country girl came by and passed me. I jumped on in stride behind her and she helped me most of the way around the loop. Hopefully she didn't think a middle-aged perv was stalking her. I stopped briefly for a drink at the Finish Line tent then continued on for the last half mile plus. No matter how I tried I couldn't get my pace to the 7:00 per mile that was my goal.

My Mile 9 - 15 splits: 8:43/8:45/7:32/7:40/7:41/7:29/7:26
Final 0.23 mi.: 1:38 (7:14/mi.)

I did just complete a 51-mile week which is my first +50-mile week in a long time. I'll be stacking them up for a few weeks now though in the build up to St. George. I was a little freaked out when I looked at last year's schedule and found we had already been to Conroe to run hills TWICE by this point last year. We also had quite a bit more distance than I've been able to muster so far this year.

PRE RUN
water & oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast & water
Later, PBJ smoothie, multivitamin & Kashi GoLean cereal w/1% milk

No comments: