Saturday, July 18, 2009

Slow Roll

OBJECTIVE
13 mi.@ 7:46-8:36

ACHIEVED
13.14 mi.@ 8:58

5:52 AM 78° 77% 0 mph

I was happy to get back with the group for a run. Today's contingent consisted of Josh, Randy, John, Augie, and me. Randy created a nice route for us from Memorial Park down to Rice University and part way around the campus loop then back to Memorial Park.

I was a bit worried this morning before leaving the house because I was "feeling" my left IT band. This is never a good thing. I have got to get back to doing my physical therapy exercises to avoid having any downtime with my ITB. My theory is that the flare up is due to the speed work in my current training program. I'm running intervals on Tuesdays and repeats on Thursdays. My ITB blew up originally (late 2007) when I was on the Furman training program with two speed sessions per week. Last summer I didn't have any problem on Tinman's program with only one speed session per week. Maybe I've stumbled on the correct cause-and-effect relationship here ... ???

Anyway, I was unsure of what today's run would bring. I wore my newest/best shoes and hoped for the best. Fortunately, the pace was modest and I didn't have any problems.

It was good to get back together with my running friends and hear Randy's and Josh's accounts of their IronMan experiences in Idaho last month.

PRE RUN
oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast

1 comment:

Ron said...

absolutely....An increased in speed required increased amount of strength. After all running is somewhere between 3-6 X your body with regard to force. If you hover around 3 or 4 then you quickly increase to 6 your soft tissues will take the load ie ITB. I really enjoy your training schedule...