Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mile Repeats Ain't Easy for Me

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up @ 8:36-9:47
3 x 1 mi.@ 6:39 w/2 min. active recoveries
1.5 mi. cool-down @ 8:36-9:47

ACHIEVED
dynamic stretching
1.54 mi. WU
6:35/6:35/6:36
1.79 mi. CD

Total distance = 6.73
Total time = 56:12

5:20 AM 75° 100% 0 mph

No wonder it felt like I was running in a sauna. It was 100% humidity this morning!

During my cool down, I was mulling over the question of why mile repeats are such a challenge. I think it's because there's no real way to "fake" them. The shorter intervals are over faster and there are more reps so your splits can slide up and down as you might take one or two reps "off" here and there. The longer runs you can vary your speed and give yourself a break then catch up after you recover. But with mile repeats, it's work the whole way. There's no time for recovery and it's stretching your endurance just to the threshold ... then holding it there. It's tricky mentally because I reach a point where I feel like there's no way I can do it. Then I convince myself to hold on a bit longer. As I do, I find that I can do it but there's still more to do. It's a never ending challenge.

Of course, I go off on this noble diatribe then have to admit that, once again, I cheated during the recovery phase. After the first mile, I jogged the entire 2 minutes. After the second, I jogged about 1/3 of the time. After the third, I walked the entire 2 minutes. It's not ideal as I'm not getting the full benefit of the scheduled workout. However, there is some question as to whether I could actually complete the workout if I ran the recoveries at the proper pace. I'm sure I'm getting some benefit ... just not all that I could be. As always, I'll throw the weather out as a justification. Maybe I should just say it's mental weakness and be done with it!

Recovery run tomorrow ....

PRE RUN
water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin

No comments: