Monday, July 20, 2009

How Does a Kilometer Feel?

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching warm-up
1.5 mi. warm-up @ 8:37-9:47
3x1K @ 6:11/mi. pace w/3 min. active recoveries
1.5 mi. cool-down @ 8:37-9:47

ACHIEVED
1.5 mi. WU
6:04/5:57/6:02
1.5 mi. CD

This was a tough run. I felt tired throughout. I suspect I could have used an extra recovery day from Saturday's 13-miler ... ???

I think the training theory at play here is to stretch the 400 meter intervals that I've been doing on the track the past four weeks. I had a bit of trouble conceptualizing - and therefore pacing - a 1 kilometer interval. I intuitively know what 800 meters is but one kilometer is an increment that I'm not familiar with in my running. I'll get a better handle on it over the next few weeks.

PRE RUN
weight = 163
water

POST RUN
water, multivitamin & Kashi GoLean cereal w/1% milk

2 comments:

Josh said...

Where are you doing your speedwork? What kind of plan are you following?

Cory said...

Josh,

I do 400 and 800 meter intervals on the track at the high school near my house. My recent 1k interval were on the road with my Garmin marking the distance.

I'm following Matt Fitzgerald's plan as outlined in his book "Brain Training for Runners". He's also a TrainingPeaks coach and author of "Triathlete Magazine's Complete Triathlon Book."

There may be too much speed work in his marathon training plan for me as I seem to have a bit of trouble coming back feeling strong for each successive round of speed work. But I intend to see it through this training cycle for St. George.