Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Houston Hills?

OBJECTIVE
dynamic stretching
Warm up 1.5 mi.@ 8:37-9:46
6x2 min. hill repeats @ 6:11 w/2 min. active recoveries
Cool down 1.5 mi.@ 8:37-9:46

ACHIEVED
dynamic stretching (partial 3 of 8 ... that's all I could recall!)
WU .87 mi.
8:11/7:18/7:52/7:39/7:43/8:20
CD 2.10 mi.

5:46 AM 75° 94% 0 mph

I got a lead on a place near home to do a "hill workout". The struggle of course is to find any terrain with a sustained grade here in Houston. I remembered some people that I occasionally ran with a couple years ago talked about running in a parking garage. At the time I thought it was ridiculous. I dropped a note over to someone in the group and she told me about the Chasewood Bank parking garage. That's where I ended up this morning to give it a go.

Running on the incline was what I needed. All of the turns were not ideal. I don't think GPS triangulation works well in a concrete structure. Therefore, I'm not sure about my splits and distances. By the time I was done, I was ready to get out of there. The air was heavy and wasn't moving ... kind of like running in a sauna. Other than that it was good. The garage was six levels. Disappointingly I never made it to the top in 2 minutes. I came the closest on my first by making it +5 floors. I didn't ever make it that far up again. Since my recovery time was the same two minutes of run time, I would go down one or two flights of stairs to get back down to the ground in time to start again. I didn't see any traffic in the garage at all.

All in all, this is a good "hill" alternative for me. It's only a couple miles from the house and I can stage from the YMCA. Even though I missed all my splits, I think I came closer to getting what I needed out of the run than my "hill" runs the past couple of weeks.

PRE RUN
weight=160
water

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, water, multivitamin & frosted mini wheats w/1% milk

10 comments:

Denise said...

I like the layout of your blog with your objective of each workout and then what you achieved. Good idea!

RTL said...

I do hills with Kenyan Way training program each Monday. Checkout last night's fun location here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6667198
So the height gain is only 24' - from the roadway to top of the overpass. Key was the consistent, gradual incline that made it a great session. Everyone got a maximum workout if they paced 25 minutes correctly. Although not a big hill, the repetition and rest and sprint length made it a solid workout. Oh - and totally on grass for maximum injury avoidance. The simplicity of the course made it much tougher workout than similar hill reps on banks of Buffalo Bayou, and at Spott’s Park.

Steph said...

I am going to do a hills training session with the Tornados this evening, I think it's going to be a weekly workout. Would you like to join in the future? It's the hill on Shepherd, I know you are not crazy about it. Alternatively, we have a parking garage that is nice and breezy, we typically do it on Thursday mornings...

Cory said...

Denise,

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate the feedback. I just kind of evolved to this format as I found it useful.

Cory said...

RTL,

Thank you for the heads up on Kenyan Nights - Beat the Heat. I'll consider dropping in sometime if I miss my regularly scheduled hill workout.

Cory said...

Steph,

Let me know if the Tornados' hill workout is going to be regularly scheduled on Tuesdays. I'm sure someone has figured out a better way to make the Shepherd hill more productive than I have!

Thursday mornings are tough for me logistically. Isn't the parking garage you run in the Uptown area?

(Like your new pic. Is it China?)

Steph said...

My new pic is Sumart two years ago...
Hill Workout was good, we did a 1.5 mile warm up (shepherd to waugh bridge loop), 6x repeat on a .7 mile loop that goes up and down the hill three times, and cool down same as warm up. It is not continuous hill but it's about as good as it gets around here.

I think it's going to be on Tuesdays but not every week - I'll keep you updated.

Parking Garage: Pre-cash building, 610 loop @ San Felipe on the NW Corner (just behind the Marriott Hotel). I run from home but the rest of the group parks in Uptown for a short warmup.

chris mcpeake said...

got to find those hills where you can. We got lots of hills here please feel free to come and get one as there are plenty to spare. Nice blog

RTL said...

Hey there. Quick update on hills. It was all 4 of the cloverleaf tonight after the rain. If you know Sean's sense of humor he made it 30 minutes since it had cooled down (and assume to accomm heavy wet shoes and mud). Just some feedback on local hill sesh locs that at least work 4 me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7450293

Cory said...

RTL,

Thank you for the follow-up. I appreciate having the Garmin link of your run. This gives me a better idea of how to make the Memorial-Waugh hills useful. I see that the way you ran them gave you an elevation gain of over 600'. I'm "sticking this in my back pocket" for future use.

Thanks again!

Cory