Sunday, May 3, 2009

That Wasn't Supposed to Happen

OBJECTIVE
11 mi.@ 8:04

ACHIEVED
11.12 mi.@ 8:19

6:09 AM 76° 88% 8 mph

I didn't get my scheduled run yesterday so I run this morning. I thought I'd combine a couple training concepts. My schedule called for an 11-mile run at 8:04 pace. I figured I'd run a 3-mile pickup at the end and figured I'd run it at projected half marathon pace - 6:52. In order to accomplish the pickup, I rolled back the pace of the first 8 miles to something around 8:30. That way, if everything went according to plan, I'd end up with an 11-mile run at an overall 8:04 pace.

The 8 mile "warm up" went okay. I wasn't feeling particularly good or bad. I reeled off mostly negative splits with the last 2 miles being 8:23 and 8:14. I was feeling fine. I stopped to reset my watch before embarking on the 3-mile pickup.

The first mile was somewhat of a struggle as I hit 6:58 and wasn't feeling very strong. I thought I'd find a rhythm in the second mile. That really didn't happen ... to say the least. About 1/4 mile into Mile 2, instead of finding my rhythm I found a brick wall. I stopped! Right before stopping, I was focusing on holding it together. I was just running point-to-point mentally and figured I could gut it out. Then it was over just like that. After catching my breath and realizing no sag wagon was coming along to pick me up, I eased it back in over the remaining 1 3/4 miles.

I really don't have a clue what happened. Sleep has been pretty good lately. Nutrition hasn't been great but okay. There may be a problem combining the pickup with the run like I did but I really don't think it should be an issue to run 8 miles at 8:30 and follow it with 3 at 6:52. Especially given the fact that I'm planning to run 13.2 at 6:52 in 2 weeks. The only thing I'm left with is my overall fitness. Most likely I'm just not where I think I am or where I should be at this point.

PRE RUN
weight 159.5
apple juice & ginger snaps

POST RUN
SlimFast, water, multivitamin @ mini wheats w/1% milk

3 comments:

pcb said...

You're fine - just a bad day. Maybe you shouldn't run on Sunday??

Becky A said...

I think it's a Sunday thing. My runs never go well on Sunday.
Brandon

Cory said...

Too many variables so it's hard to say but there could be something to the Sunday thing ....