Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Evening Speed Anyone?

OBJECTIVE
Warmup 15 minutes Easy
8 x 400 meters (1:30) w/400 meter jogging recovery
Cooldown 20 minutes Jog

ACHIEVED
Warmup 17:23 (1.96 mi.@ 8:52/mi.)
1:31 / 1:31 / 1:28 / 1:29 / 1:30 / 1:28 / 1:28 / 1:25
Cooldown 17:48 (1.98 mi.@ 8:59/mi.)

8:02 PM 66° 64% 6 mph

I didn’t go out this morning as my legs didn’t feel like it and I went on a cooking frenzy before leaving for the office. I prepared two hot meals for myself to take to the office. The plan was to eat an early lunch and early dinner at the office then hit the track in the evening. During the day, it occurred to me that the track at Memorial Park is asphalt compared to the rubberized asphalt at Klein High. Figuring the rubberized version would be easier on my legs, I drove home to run at the high school. It’s not the easiest thing for me to get out of the house in the evening once I’m home from work!

I finally got out and on my way at 8. My left hamstring felt a bit strained or something on my warmup run to the track. I wondered if it would be a problem once I got going but thankfully it wasn’t an issue.

I set my goal time for the quarter mile repeats at 1:30. This was manageable as I hit the times but I was definitely working. I was very happy with the consistency of my times. There was only a 3 second difference between the slowest and fastest of my first 7 repeats. For the last one, I was excited about being done and cranked it up slightly.

This was a good, challenging workout.

Two footnotes: First, the high school JV baseball was playing a game on the field next to the track that finished precisely at the time I finished which meant I was running back through the parking lot while the baseball families were going to there cars. I saw several of our baseball friends but no one seemed to recognize me … out of context I suppose.

Second, I think I was a bit dehydrated today. I started a new approach to nutrition today … nothing dramatic. It lasts for 4 days and is supposed to be nutritionally sound. I used one of my running nutrition books to make sure I would be getting enough total calories based on my size and activity level. The meals are bland and it’s too early to tell if there’s any benefit. I’ll have a better idea over the next few days. If I have a breakthrough, I’ll report it.

Finally, I am confirmed for the Ogden half marathon on May 16. I’ll probably stick with my speed work through next week culminating with the Run The Woodlands 5K on March 28. From that point, I’ll shift my regimen to focus on the half.

PRE RUN
Water

POST RUN
Water & blueberry smoothie

No comments: