Monday, March 16, 2009

Back to the Track

OBJECTIVE
Warmup 15 minutes Easy
6 x 800 meters (3:00) w/400 meter jogging recovery
Cooldown 20 minutes Jog

ACHIEVED
Warmup 17:07 (1.91 mi.@ 8:58/mi.)
3:04 / 2:59 / 3:01 / 3:03 / 3:11 / 3:07
Cooldown 18:55 (1.99 mi.@ 9:30/mi.)

6:49 AM 48° 100% 0 mph fog

Well, it was back to the track for me this morning. My legs seemed to still be feeling Saturday’s 5K. I also think I set my goal time of 3:00 per 800 a bit too fast. I wasn’t sure where I should be so I used the McMillan Running website. Based on my 19:43 5K time, speed workouts for 800’s should either be: 2:53 – 3:01 for middle distance runners and 3:01 – 3:09 for long distance runners. My ego forced me to choose the top end of the middle distance. In retrospect, the top end of the long distance is probably closer to the correct goal pace for me.

The workout was challenging. Surprisingly to me, I was alone on the track at Klein High in a dense fog. Starting this late, I didn’t think I’d be alone. And heavy morning fog is a bit unusual.

I was happy to get them in. When leaving the track, it was about time for school to start. I saw Rory Jones who was off for a run with the cross country/track team. He asked me if I was running. I told him, “6 800’s.” I must not have looked good because he said, “That’s a tough workout. Do you need a ride home?” I told him I was fine and off he went to catch the rest of his group. I slogged home … slowly.

If I’m going to be serious about these speed workouts, I absolutely have to be diligent about my physical therapy for my IT band. I felt it ever-so-slightly today. Running fast in circles seems to be a problem. I’m sure this is what brought it on in the very first place back in November 2007.

PRE RUN
Weight = 158.5

No comments: