Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lengthening the Prescribed Long Run

OBJECTIVE
13 mi. Slow (>8:38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
14.8 mi.@ 8:26

6:35 AM 70° 94% 7 mph light mist

Funny thing ... wasn't it just yesterday that I was wondering when I'd get the spring back in my legs? I think I found it today and didn't even realize it. Let me explain.

The group was scheduled for 10 miles. Traditionally there isn't a formal route for the last, "short" long run before a marathon. We just figure out where we're going when we get together Saturday morning. Since my schedule was for 13 miles and the group wasn't starting until 7 AM, I got to the park early and took what felt like a slow loop for 3 miles. I really thought I was probably around 8:45-50 pace. Well, my splits were actually 8:31/8:01/8:03. Of course, that isn't a land speed record but based on how I was feeling ... I'd have to say the tapering benefits are kicking in.

I timed it perfectly and met the group for the planned 10 miles. The routing was much looser than normal and we meandered around then headed back toward the park but realized that we weren't going to get 10 miles so added on a bit extra to get the miles. From my total mileage above, you can see the add-on was about 1.8 miles more the planned.

So in summary, I ran farther and faster than I should have today but felt pretty good doing it.

Now for the other news. Of course, the marathon is next weekend and, of course, the reason I didn't sign up for the Houston marathon is because this is my busiest time of the year at work. Long story - short: yesterday 2 weeks were pulled out of the timeline for the project I'm working on. Meaning everything is now due 2 weeks earlier. I've come to expect the unexpected this time of year. It's just the way things go. I'd say the marathon is now a less than 50/50 proposition. I've really got to get on top of things over the next few days in order to give myself the chance to get away next weekend. I've joked about it but this literally is going to be a "game time" decision. It may be Friday before I know if I'll be running the marathon on Sunday.

For the record, today's group included: Stephanie, Stuart, Laurie, Michelle, William, Randy, Josh, Aaron and me.

PRE RUN
Kashi GoLean cereal w/skim milk

POST RUN
SlimFast

No comments: