Saturday, January 31, 2009

Inspiration from an Olympic Champion



In the men's 10,000 meter run at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, Billy Mills struck gold in what quite possibly is the greatest upset in Olympic history. He blows by Australia's Ron Clarke, the world record holder, with about 100 meters to go.

In this video clip Mr. Mills discusses the mental aspect of his race (his Olympic finishing time of 28:24 isn't mentioned but he discusses his plan to cut time off his then-best effort).

Winning the mental battle is obviously a huge part of running. I find it on the road almost every single time I'm out there running. I particularly like his comment that the subconscious mind doesn't know the difference from reality and imagination.

Interestingly, both Mills and Clarke also ran the marathon in the same Olympics. Their finishing times - 2:24 and 2:22, respectively.

Read more about Mills here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the video, thanks for sharing!
Steph

Cory said...

Glad you liked it, Steph.

Occasionally I stumble upon some really good stuff on the web. This clip fell squarely into that category for me.

Hope your bike training is going well.