Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Equipment Check



While on a recent run, I had the thought to post a picture of my shoes. Of course not much equipment is needed for running but shoes are critical. When I started running in March 2007, I was "professionally fitted" and ended up choosing Mizuno Wave Rider 10's. When I needed a new pair, I ordered online and just picked the same model in a different color. The Wave Rider 10's went "out of style" as a newer model was released. It became harder to find them but when I did the price was right. These shoes have always felt pretty good on me so when I had the chance for another 2 pairs on closeout, I jumped. This is how I ended up with 5 pairs of Mizuno Wave Rider 10's. Somewhere along the line I bought a pair of Asics but after running in them once, returned them.

They say a good pair of running shoes should last 300 - 500 miles. I've also read and heard that the shoes are actually worn out before they look worn out. I have not tracked the mileage on my shoes but generally believe they're all either worn out or close to it. I rotate through them through the week.

A couple Saturday's ago, I picked up a pair of Saucony's on a whim (very unlike me). I've added them to the rotation. They feel different and I'm wondering if they somehow aggravate my calves (probably not ... just looking for a scape goat).

So here are my 6 pair of running shoes.

BACK ROW:
Blue & yellow - first pair
Red - St. George 2007
Red & blue #1 - Ogden 2008
FRONT ROW:
Red & blue #2 - training
Red & blue #3 - St. George 2008
Saucony - short, easy runs only ... for now

Why am I mentioning all of this? I don't know. Paige absolutely HATES all of my shoes dominating space in the laundry room. But we've generally reached an accord (haven't we?).

Over the weekend, I ordered 2 pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 11's. I got a good deal because they're orange. I honestly don't care what color I'm running in as long as it's not pink!

I tried the 11's at a Mizuno exhibit hosted by Fleet Feet during the summer. I had my feet analyzed by computer and they essentially told me I'm in the right shoe and to "keep buying Mizuno's". There's a lot of marketing involved. Which makes me wonder about the 300 - 500 mile per shoe wear-out claims. Is it just marketing to get runners out to buy more shoes? If so, I guess it's working on me.

Looking forward to my new orange Mizuno Wave Rider 11's!

2 comments:

Becky A said...

hehehehe...I like this post! great picture. can't wait to see your orangies!

Cory said...

Becky -

They're supposed to be here Friday. I'll try to remember to get a picture of them for your enjoyment!