Thursday, November 13, 2008

An Early Morning Training Partner

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. easy (> 8:38/ mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.03 mi.@ 7:57/mi.

5:25 AM 61F 100% 1 mph mist

So the obvious question is why did I run so fast today. Well, there's a good answer ... it's the natural benefit that comes from running with others. My Saturday runs with the group are always faster than when I'm on my own. There are many reasons the Kenyans are such prolific distance runners ... I believe one is that they rarely run alone.

Susan Cline of ChampionsFit dropped me a note earlier in the week that she met a guy who she thought was about my pace. He's new to the area and has Utah connections. I dropped Aaron a note and heard back from him last night. He's actually living with a sister (?) about .7 mile from my house. We met at Randall's at 5:30 and I took him on the Stuebner -Airline Loop. We were obviously faster than I planned but the pace felt fine as we were talking the whole time. He's younger and faster than I am. He's looking to qualify for Boston (3:10 for him) at the Austin marathon in February.

We're planning to run together again tomorrow. Six miles over the Wimbledon Forest Loop.

Later today I plan to put up a video link of a University of Washington women's cross country team workout. They just swept their conference (PAC-10) meet taking the top 5 places. This is an amazing feat for a big conference school. They're led by a freshman phenom.

PRE RUN
weight = 158.5#
chocolate milk

POST RUN
SlimFast, water, multivitamin & 5-grain hot cereal w/almonds, flax, cinnamon, brown sugar & 1% milk

No comments: