Monday, November 10, 2008

Close Monitoring

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. slow ( > 8:38/mi.)

ACHIEVED
4.01 mi.@ 8:34/mi.

5:29 AM 63° 83% 7 mph

It seems I've got something developing that I need to keep a close eye on. During the St. George marathon my calves got really tight around 19 miles. I thought this was from the wind and rain. Of course, I was expecting my quads to be burning which thankfully didn't happen but the calves were pretty bad. Since then I've had similar tightening with my calves. I've mentioned it a few times in my blog. Again today, the problem flared up. It's never been bad enough to stop me but it's fairly unpleasant. Last year at this time, I was feeling good about completing my first marathon, cranked up my training intensity and injured myself. I'm leery of the same thing happening so I'm going to keep a close handle on what's going on here. I don't want it to get away from me.

Today's run was pretty good. I covered the distance too fast; hopefully that's not a problem tomorrow or Wednesday when I'm trying to go farther and faster.

It was warm this morning and it's supposed to rain later today then off-and-on over most of the week.

*** REMINDER *** I need to blog about my shoes, telegrams, and potential shake up to the overall training schedule (this is a good thing!).

PRE RUN
weight = 158#
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
water, multivitamin & 5-grain hot cereal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

2 comments:

Diane B said...

Music on your blog???

Cory said...

I got sucked in by the peer pressure of trying to keep up with Becky's, Shaury's and Angela's blogs. It actually annoys me when other people have music on theirs so I'll probably shut it down. I'm in the process of editing a St. George marathon video that I'd like to try getting up on the blog but I'm waiting for a few more pictures ... and time to finalize the editing.