Thursday, October 23, 2008

Finding the Line?

OBJECTIVE
4 mi. Easy

ACHIEVED
4.02 mi.@ 8:15/mi.

5:32 AM 55 70% 10 mph

It was a good run today. I had only mentally planned for 3 miles but as soon as I fell out of bed 4 is what was on my mind. It was cool so I wore sleeves but it was fine shortly after I got going. For a moment, I wished that I had worn gloves but it wasn't a problem. But it reminded me that I need to pull my gloves out of hibernation.

I've really just been letting my runs "happen" since the marathon. No discipline. No preconceived targets for time or distance. I'm feeling pretty good. This was my fourth consecutive day back in the saddle. I've been running short but the paces have quickened over the past couple days. I don't believe I've recovered from the marathon but I'm on my way back. One thing I've really tried to do lately is just enjoy myself. Not only with running but life in general. The marathon training cycle was a grind and it's good to have it in the rear view mirror. I'm really excited and eager for the future and my next big event. I keep reminding myself it will come soon enough. I just need to be patient with myself and the process to get there.

All of this got me thinking during today's run about boundaries. Recently I've been mentally calling it "finding the line". During the training cycle I had specific distances and objective times for every workout. In preparing for my two successful marathons, I was very effective in hitting those times and distances. It showed in the results. While my recent unconstrained running has felt so good, I've employed no boundaries and I've really enjoyed these runs - both the short ones and the long runs (even though I mentioned them being too fast for recovery). I've considered preparing for my next big event without employing any boundaries (or lines) - just do what feels good. I had convinced myself this would work out well and lead to a happy end result. However while running today, a bit of clarity started to formulate in my mind. Based on yesterday's excitement (i.e., my giddy pace), I don't necessarily think it's the best idea to not have the "lines" set before my runs. Of course I was even faster today. Which I'm not exactly sure what that means but I'm thinking I have a better handle on my limitations and where the lines need to be. I need to fine true this some for my next marathon. Obviously the objective is a Boston qualifying time. But in order to get there, I now believe there has to be constraints in my training. It will be incredibly difficult because there will be days when I will just feel like letting it go. Run and be free. But there are usually consequences later. From minor to very serious hurting that limits further activity.

I'm rambling but I suppose in summation ... I haven't known where the line is recently. I still don't know with precision where it needs to be. But I feel strongly that it should be there and I'm closer to knowing. As my heavy training starts soon, I plan to have this figured out soon.

PRE RUN
weight = 156.5#
nothing

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, oatmeal w/flax, brown sugar & 1% milk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lines and boundries are always good. They allow us to accomplish more when we push off them. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

When you reach one goal, you need to take the chance to celebrate your accomplishment and hard work. You shouldn't disregard it as only a small stepping stone for the next goal. Celebrate your successes and know that that is okay. If you keep setting the line higher and higher and never let yourself get there you will sadly never enjoy the journey.