Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Really Good Run

OBJECTIVE
4 - 6 mi. Easy

ACHIEVED
6.16 mi.@ 8:31/mi.

4:56 AM 73F 89% 4 mph

This was a really good run.

I'm not sure what happened to set me up for this. As always, there are too many variables at play. Here are the factors I believe may have contributed:

Rest - I've gone to bed earlier (before 10) the past couple nights.

Physical therapy - After last week's session with Danni, I've diligently completed my 7 exercise routine every other day.

Temperature - It's been cooler the past couple days. The difference isn't huge on the thermometer - maybe 7 or 8 degrees - but it's noticeable right from the start when running even when the humidity is around 90%. I didn't realize a storm was moving in. I just enjoyed today's run. About 30 minutes after finishing, it started raining.

Hills/Rest Cycle - Saturday's long run in the hills was challenging. Could I be noticing the training benefit already? Sunday's rest day may have given my body a chance to "reload". Or my mileage pull back over the past couple weeks may be allowing me to be fresher ... ???

Nutrition - My eating has been fairly "clean". I've probably overeaten slightly over the past 5 days as my weight has edged up 4-5 pounds. But I've generally been using high octanes fuels.

After half a mile, I picked it up. One of the things I've allowed is for my pace to just stay in "warm up mode". The past couple days I've tried to avoid letting my body set that as the auto-pilot pace. I found a comfortable pace that still seemed "easy". I was able to hold it and ended up running fairly flat splits. This is similar to yesterday.

From a mental standpoint, I really needed the past couple days. Hopefully the feeling continues!

Tomorrow is a big workout of 8 miles with intervals along the way. Maybe I'll be doing it in the rain.

Olympic footnote: Brian Sell who will be running the marathon for the US has been putting 160 - 170 miles per week! ... makes my 40 seem rather easy .... His tempo runs are at 5:00/mile pace. It's difficult for me to understand what that really means. It's kind of like the child's ultimate topper to win numerical arguments - "infinity". You have no idea what it means but know that no one else can put up a bigger number. I can't even say that I've got a job to work and Sell doesn't ... that's how he has time for the miles. Wrong! Brian actually works 5-6 hour shifts in the garden section at Home Depot. He's a huge underdog in Beijing but I'm rooting for him. He has commented that he hopes the conditions are absolutely terrible come race day. He believes it could be the equalizer that gives him a shot. Good luck for a great race, Brian.

PRE RUN
1/2 Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, water, oatmeal w/skim milk, flax & brown sugar

No comments: