Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yes ... Yasso 800's!

OBJECTIVE
9 mi. w/7 x 2:00 @ 6:40/mi.

ACHIEVED
1.9 mi. warm up
10x800 meters
1.8 mi. cool down

8:00 PM 79° 84% 7 mph Light Rain

Ended up not running this morning. Thunder, lightning, and rain offered a lame excuse and I took it. (It wasn't that bad. Just the leading edge of Hurricane Dolly that ended up hitting the US- Mexican border later in the day.) So this led to a PM run for me. Under the soggy conditions, I decided to take advantage of the high school track and try running Yasso 800's.

It was around 8 pm by the time I was on my way. I was NOT feeling it. I slogged my way over to the track, considering cutting it short the whole way over. Once on the track, I figured I'd try a couple 800's hoping to feel better. It didn't happen but I was hitting my times. I decided rather than do 10 I'd just cut it short at 5. But by the time I got to 5, I couldn't think of a reason not to do another. After 6, I started thinking it would be a complete waste not to try for the original 10. So I pressed on. I was still hitting my times but was tiring. After 7, I decided I was going to get 10 and pressed on. It was raining lightly much of the time and the wind was occasionally gusting. I felt really tired but very satisfied about finishing this workout when all along it seemed it wasn't in the cards. The s-l-o-w march home wasn't the most pleasant cool down but before leaving the house, I had thrown together batter for blueberry-walnut pancakes that I was looking forward to.

The concept of Yasso 800's is to run 10 in the time you anticipate running the marathon ... except in minutes and seconds rather than hours and minutes. Therefore, my 3:25 marathon had me running 3:25 800's. If a runner can do 10 in the prescribed time while limiting his recovery to the same time, it's an indicator of what he can ran a marathon in. So here's what I ended up with:

800 / Rest

3:24/3:24
3:23/3:35
3:21/3:26
3:30/3:54
3:27/3:31
3:24/3:39
3:24/3:29
3:21/3:31
3:25/3:26
3:20/3:24

So I did it! Effectively, I ran 10 x 800's at 3:25. Okay here's the huge caveat, instead of jogging in between each 800 like your supposed to, I walked. Of course, that's cheating. So I didn't exactly do it but I know it's achievable. The last time I did Yasso 800's was June 5, 2007. It's most comical to look back at how that went. Here's my blog entry. It's good for me to look back occasionally to get some perspective on my progress.

I may trying these again during this training cycle. I know I'm not ready to run 3:25 in St. George today but at least I have an indicator that it's not out of reach.

PRE RUN
water

POST RUN
chocolate milk, blueberry-walnut pancakes, skim milk, calcium & vitamin A&D supplements

No comments: