Saturday, December 8, 2007

Romp from the YMCA

OBJECTIVE
6 mile run : no pace

ACHIEVED
6.02 miles : 53:18 = (8:51 miles/minute)

5:24 AM 72° 89% 5 mph

Since it is Saturday I slept in a bit before driving over to start my run from the Y. Sleeping in means I got up a little after 5 instead of 4:15 - 4:30. Boy was it steamy this morning!

Had to keep reminding myself that it didn't matter how fast I ran today. It's all about time on my feet and seeing how my legs hold up. My legs were generally fine today. I didn't have any "spring" in my legs but apparently that's the purpose of running the tempo run the day before the long run. It forces you to run slower. It seems strange to be considering 6 miles a "long run". It was just a few months ago that I was doing multiple 9 milers during the week. When I think about that, it makes my current injury situation all the more frustrating. But I'm hopeful that I'm following a good course to get everything straightened out and back on track. I wanted to come in between 8:45 and 9:00 minute per mile pace so I was happy that I hit it. I saw several people from the various ChampionsFit groups this morning. However, I think many of their faster runners where either running a 30K in Sugar Land this morning or the 50K in Huntsville tomorrow.

As I was enjoying the Christmas light displays in the neighborhoods, the thought occurred to me that these displays are not very environmentally responsible. I wonder how the "inventor of the Internet", Al Gore, feels about them. From that thought, I decided it wasn't that great of me to drive to a location so I could start my run. I'm sure there's a better way for me but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Maybe ride my bike over to the Y ...? Or just do all my runs from the house .... or maybe run to the Y or catch the trail at a different spot closer to home. I'm riding the bus to work more now. So I'm making an effort but should still be more aware and better informed.

The run took me though the neighborhoods then on to the bayou trail down to the bridge then back.

Back at the car I completed a nice series of stretches at a leisurely pace.

I have recently been inspired by Paul and Marci among others at fastrunning.com. So I tried a nap once back at the house. It was 7 am and I was sure that I wouldn't be able to sleep. I haven't tried this before and figured my elevated heart rate and just general "awakeness" wouldn't allow for it. Much to my surprise, I woke up at 8:40. So while I'm sure I'll never make the Top Runners or High Mileage boards on the blog, I think if a Nap board is ever instituted that I could make a serious run at being a top napper!

PRE RUN
Clif bar and water

POST RUN
Slim-Fast and water

No comments: