Thursday, December 6, 2007

Substitute Workout

OBJECTIVE
3 miles : no pace

ACHIEVED
3.01 miles : 23:34 = (7:50 min./mile)


Unfortunately, work conspired to keep me from my scheduled hill workout yesterday. I had planned to run hills downtown after work but ended up with a 12+ hour day so just went home (1:35 round trip commute). I had to meet a neighbor at the church for a little year end project that lasted until after 11 pm so I wasn't able to get out once I got home. It looks like work will continue this way for another couple weeks then let up through the holidays then go really bad for 3½ months! ... happy to have a job ... just not looking forward to this upcoming stretch ...!

Today was supposed to be an off day but since I missed yesterday I was back out at 4:30 this morning. The temperature was very nice with a breeze (52ยบ 77% humidity with 8 mph wind).

The run felt harder than it should have. This makes me think that I lost conditioning with the time off for my knees. Speaking of which ... my knees felt okay today. I had the urge to push it just to test them but resisted for the most part. However, I succumbed to the temptation to look at my watch 1 mile in to the run. I didn't want to do it ... really. But the mile alert sounded and I was very curious about my pace ... especially since it didn't feel easy this morning. I was right the first mile was slow. Of course this had the effect of spurring me on for the rest of the run. It wasn't ever uncomfortable but I was probably pushing slightly harder than if I had not looked at the watch. ... I really shouldn't have done that but old habits die hard I suppose.

Back at the house after the run, I stretched somewhat halfheartedly and did a couple good sets of bicycles. I should mention that yesterday wasn't a total loss. Before going to work, I went through a long series of new ITB stretches that I found. It didn't feel like I was doing much at the time but later in the day I was feeling it! I need to continue that effort.

PRE RUN water

POST RUN
Immediate - chocolate Slim-Fast recommended by Greg McMillan
Later - Kashi GoLean Cereal, skim milk, water, multivitamin

No comments: