Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 2 of the Comeback

OBJECTIVE

3 miles : no pace

ACHIEVED

2.98 miles : 24:27 = (8:13 min./mile)


Hit the road at 4:30 again this morning. The temperature was cool (33° 90% humidity with no wind). I geared up in tights, gloves, hat, and two layers on top. (I have a curiosity about how the weather impacts running performance. I recently found the following link on the topic. This table doesn't exactly correlate to other things I've read but it's close ... and it also has cold temperature conversions which are the first I've seen. TINMAN TEMPERATURE TABLE) Like yesterday, I wore the ITB strap above my right knee. I have some concern that almost all of my cold weather gear is black which makes me nearly invisible when running in the dark. Surprisingly, I saw another runner about a half mile into my run. He made me feel a bit overdressed since he was in shorts and t-shirt. He also didn't look like he was doing that well. Hopefully he was near the end of his run! I'm sure many people have had occasion to think the same of me! There've been a few long runs where I have barely been crawling near the end (my first 20-miler comes to mind!).

Anyway, this morning's run was pretty much uneventful. My knees felt fine but my right calf was very tight. I was quite pleased with myself for not looking at my watch once. I just kept telling myself there was no point and that it didn't matter.

I should mention that my knees (primarily right) and right calf really tightened up on me yesterday in the office. I'm concerned about this since it gives me an uneasy feeling that something is lurking beneath the surface. I'm taking my ice bag to work today so I can ice throughout the day while sitting at my desk.

After the run, I did plank and superman stretches. I also did Reynolds (?) ITB stretches.


PRE RUN SNACK
Clif bar & water

POST RUN MEAL
oatmeal, milk, water, multivitamin

No comments: