Friday, December 7, 2007

Tempo ... Higdon Style

OBJECTIVE
30 minute tempo run

ACHIEVED
3.84 miles : 31:36 = (8:14 min/mile)
8:53 8:16 7:41 6:43 (.84 mile)

58º 95% 1 mph

It was a beautiful morning for a run. I was expecting it to be cooler when I stepped outside and had put on a long-sleeved tech shirt. I think the weather is supposed to stay like this over the weekend.

My goal for this tempo was to start slow and progressively increase the speed through the first 20 minutes. From that point, I wanted to gradually slow the pace and bring it in easy.

I took what's becoming my typical morning route during this "injury recovery period" - over to the high school. Knowing I needed 30 minutes today rather than a certain distance, I extended the run past the high school. At the turn around, I practiced a racing U turn. In the past, I've generally tried to stay tight through the U turns encountered in races but I've read that going into the turn wide then coming out of the turn tight with strong acceleration is the better way. I'm going to keep working on this technique as I think there's something to it. I know turn technique can make a difference when racing. I benefited from a good U turn in August and passed a runner I'd been "jousting" with at the Bouchard 10K in August. However, a couple of weak U turns at the Earth Day 5K hurt my race standing. Which raises the question, what's the deal with a 5K course having 3 U turns!!??!?!

Anyway, I felt pretty good this morning. I forced myself to stay easy early in the run. I only looked at my watch twice ... not for pace but for time. Running for time is a different concept for me. I usually run for distance. I think I need to employ more timed runs as the mental exercise is good for me.

My knees didn't bother me but my right calf was extremely tight early on.

I was happy with the negative splits and a bit surprised by the gaps. I felt like I was picking up but not that much!

Back at the house, I did 3 sets of wall busters for my ITB's and 3 sets of crunches for my six-pack (ha, ha, ha).


PRE RUN
Clif bar & water

POST RUN
SlimFast, water
Later, oatmeal, brown sugar, skim milk, water, multivitamin

No comments: