Monday, April 30, 2007

Too Hard of an "Easy Run"

Well, I worked in an easy run tonight. I was going to leave the office between 6 and 6:30 to do the loop at Memorial Park but, wouldn't you know it, that's when the heavy rain started to fly. I stayed in the office until about 7:45 and the rain had passed then went to Memorial. The path was wet but not under water so a made the loop.

My half mile splits were:
  • 0.5 mile - 4:51
  • 1.0 mile - 4:16
  • 1.5 mile - 4:10
  • 2.0 mile - 4:01
  • 2.5 mile - 4:14
  • 2.9 mile - 3:30
Of course that works out to be 25:02 over 2.9 miles for an 8:38 per mile pace. My target was 9:00. I walked away feeling good but as I drove home decided that this was really bad. My understanding is that "easy runs" are for recovery that's why they're slower. By not slowing to the proper pace, I suspect I was pushing my body too hard and not allowing for the proper recovery. Maybe this is why I've had a little trouble recently running fast enough during the speed workouts and tempo runs. Essentially I've convinced myself that I'm running the slow workouts too fast and the fast workouts too slow. I'm going to focus more on hitting the proper pace for all my workouts.

I also found a training article that I liked today. I don't plan to work this into my regimen immediately but believe it holds some valuabule ideas that I'll try to implement when PIM is over.

Finally, Alex called today and tomorrow is the last day to register for the St. George marathon. We've registered for the lottery as a group of five. We're hopeful that by including a woman and a first-timer (me!!!) that our odds of being selected are increased. The lottery results will be posted Tuesday, May 8.

No comments: