Monday, December 12, 2011

objective
4.5 mi.@ 7:31-8:20
2x20 sec. high knees
2x20 sec. bounding

achieved
4.60 mi.@ 8:11
2x20 sec. high knees
2x20 sec. bounding

5:02 AM 46° 58% 2 mph

Another classic run today. I "vacate" the Houston house in advance of the sale. I find myself surprisingly nostalgic and sentimental. I haven't slept that well the past couple nights as the house is empty and the reality of the situation seems to be hitting me for the first time. This is very strange since it's been known for several months. I think I may feel this way because I don't feel that I'm leaving on my own terms ... more of a "forced move".

I went out over the Stuebner-Airline Loop course then added a loop around the block when I got back to the house. These routes that I developed from home became old standbys over time. I knew the landmarks for each invisible mile mark over course ranging from 3 to 12 miles in 1/2 mile increments. There are loops, keyholes and out-and-back routes. There are variations in routing depending on time of day, season of the year and traffic flows. My body and mind seem to have become so familiar that I could switch on the auto-pilot and generally hit the desired pacing with a little extra kick at the end.

Good-bye Klein, Texas. I've enjoyed running your neighborhoods the past 5 years and 10 months.

No comments: