Saturday, January 16, 2010

OBJECTIVE
14 mi.@ 7:46-8:36
(The objective posted at the beginning of the week was "what I thought I was going to do" (5K race) rather than "what the schedule called for" (14 mi. long run). When it got down to it, I decided to stick with the schedule and race next week as prescribed by the schedule.)

ACHIEVED
14.42 mi.@ 8:17

6:46 AM 49° 92% 6 mph

Two successes and a failure:

First success - completed a rather nice solo +14-miler. Had planned to meet up with a new group this morning but somehow didn't make the connection. After waiting 15 minutes, ventured out on my own. Didn't have a route in mind but ended up running some of the Houston marathon route down to the convention center. Tomorrow's the day of the big marathon and half so, not surprisingly there were very few people out running this morning.

Failure - wasn't able to get packet. Hadn't planned this but since I ran right by the convention center, I decided to stop in and pick up my packet for tomorrow's 5K. Long story; short. I was too early. Side note: not sure I'll run the 5K tomorrow given the past week's training, work situation, etc. but want to have packet "just in case". This means I've got to stop back at the convention center today and join the mass of humanity. Normally not a problem but I've just got too many things going today for this to be convenient!

Second success - I prepared and rehearsed (many times) a speech I'll be giving tomorrow night. Yesterday afternoon, I was asked to speak at an event tomorrow night. It's my nature to freak out about things like this. But for some reason during this morning's run, the thoughts flowed freely and were surprisingly organized. Hope the delivery goes as well as I envision it in my mind's eye.

So ... a whole bunch of words just to say: this was a good run.

PRE RUN
weight=167.5
orange juice & oatmeal w/brown sugar & 1% milk

POST RUN
SlimFast
Later, hot chocolate, pancakes w/maple syrup, & English muffin w/poached egg, cheese & ham

No comments: