Friday, August 28, 2009

Mental Block

OBJECTIVE
1.5 mi. warm-up @ 8:37-9:47
6.5 mi. @ 6:59
1.5 mi. cool-down @ 8:37-9:47

ACHIEVED
1.59 mi. WU
6.50 mi. tempo @ 7:11
1.58 mi. CD

6:27 AM 75° 85% 0 mph

Yesterday was an unscheduled off day. My knee wasn't feeling right (and I know it's my IT band) and I had/have a huge mental block about the scheduled tempo run and work has been crazy and I haven't been eating right and I haven't been getting enough sleep and .... There are always plenty of excuses, aren't there?

I was determined to get the tempo run today but when the time came, my mental constitution was faltering. However, I'm happy to report that I won the battle of getting myself out the door.

The IT band was fine. And the hip from Wednesday was fine. I'm fairly convinced all of that stuff is related to my mileage build up, running long on the hills last weekend, running two intense workouts per week, etc. WITHOUT DOING MY PHYSICAL THERAPY. It's as simple as 1 + 1 = 2. I have to do the PT or else I'm going to have a problem when my weekly mileage gets up around 50. During the time I was not running yesterday morning, I did my PT so it wasn't a complete loss.

The tempo was a challenge and because of my mental approach I didn't ever really give myself a chance to hit the 6:59 pace that was scheduled. I was fairly consistent with 7:10/7:11 and, in hindsight, feel like I could have pushed a little harder (always easy to say after the fact).

PRE RUN
weight=165
water, low-fat granola w/1% milk

POST RUN
water, multivitamin, SlimFast & Kashi GoLean cereal w/1% milk

No comments: