Friday, June 19, 2009

Lost Week

OBJECTIVE
6 mi.@ 7:46-8:36

ACHIEVED
6.17 mi.@ 8:25

5:07 AM 75° 94% 4 mph

I don't use Twitter so I don't really "get it" but isn't it just like the old telegram except you don't have to visit the local operator to transmit?

Here's my tweet-like catch for the past few days:

Woke up Tuesday with tell-tale raw, dry throat. Flew to DC for meeting. During meeting looked out conference room window at Washington Monument. Flew back to Houston. Slept almost the whole way. Not feeling well.

Hoped Wednesday would bring better day. Got up to run. Felt lousy. No energy. Didn't run. Went to work. Came home asleep by 9 pm.

Thursday-repeat of Wednesday. Not sure what's wrong. Seems somewhat like a head cold or allergies but I don't think that's it.

Friday (today) - woke up feeling slightly better. Decided to run; probably wouldn't make me feel worse! Low energy but fresh legs lead to strange run.

Good news on Wednesday. Garmin sent me a brand new Forerunner 205. I sent mine to them last Friday after all the trouble I've been having. After two years, it's out of warranty but they replaced it with a new one. I wonder what the shareholders think about that ...? It's an additional cost to the company but they're buying loyalty and devotion with me ....

Hope I'm feeling back to my old self soon. I had designs on making up the runs I missed but I don't think that's wise. I'll just let them go. Hopefully it's not a setback in my training.

PRE RUN
water

POST RUN
SlimFast & multivitamin
Later, water, oatmeal w/flax seed, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon & skim milk

4 comments:

Steph said...

It's not a set back, it's just your body sending you a message. Listen, and DON'T MAKE UP FOR THESE RUNS!
The problem we runners have is that we have a high pain threshold, and we are not used to paying attention to pain or fatigue. If you do notice, it means it's probably bad enough. Take it seriously, and enjoy the break.
I hope you are back 100% soon.

Cory said...

Steph,

You're my running conscience. You always stop me as I'm about to do something stupid!

Thank you for the comment and your objectivity.


Cory

Diane B said...

Garmin did that with my car unit too. Actually, they refunded the purchase price, and I went and bought a newer, nicer unit for less money and pocketed the difference. Go figure, but they pretty much got me for life now.

Just Pop

Cory said...

Pop,

After my experience with Garmin, talking to other runners who have had their Forerunners replaces, and now hearing of your experience; I've decided it's probably a great strategy by Garmin. They're buying loyalty through customer satisfaction. They also get their old units back so they can see what's breaking down on them. This is probably a good way to improve future models.

I also suspect the overall cost is built in to the original price.