Monday, May 25, 2009

Pulled Over

OBJECTIVE
5.5 mi.@ base pace
high knees 2x20 sec.
bounding 2x20 sec.

ACHIEVED
5.63 mi.@ 8:07
high knees
bounding

5:46 AM 66° 96% 0 mph

So I'm enjoying my Memorial Day morning run. Basking in the thought that there's no work for me today. Even though I started a bit later than usual there's hardly any traffic on the roads. I'm happy to be starting a new training cycle with an approach that I'm eager to try out. Today's prescribed distance of 5.5 miles is different than I've run before and while the drills following the run aren't new, I'm hopeful that they will improve my running efficiency.

I'm running along Cypresswood Drive by Meyer Park and I get "pulled over" by a Harris County sheriff for running in the road. "Do you know it's illegal to run in the road?" the officer asks me after getting my attention with a blast from his siren and a yell to, "Come over here!" I'm thinking this is going to be too easy to carve this muscle head to pieces but, resisting every urge and impulse I was experiencing, I just said "Yes, sir." to the man with the gun. I was just hoping it would be easier this way. And it was. "Get on the side of the road and get going," he said after reminding me it's Memorial Day and how do I expect cars to see me. This one-sided dialogue just invited too many possibilities. I'll just let them all go as I got up on the sidewalk-less side of the road and continued my interrupted run. Must be a slow day at the precinct! I'm only mad that I wasn't pulled over for running too fast!

PRE RUN
weight 162
water

POST RUN
water, multivitamin & Kashi GoLean cereal w/1% milk

3 comments:

Becky A said...

wow that is weird! That cop must have been bored or something...

pcb said...

Why or why are you so annoyed by authority? Did you ever think maybe he was looking out for YOUR safety? A little humility is in order here.

Shaury said...

Darn, not a speeding ticket huh. So I'm confused, do people drive with their eyes closed on memorial day? Good story.