Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Forced" Off Day

I didn't get my run in today. Yesterday's wall-to-wall schedule caught up with me. Paige and I did have a nice dinner at Ibiza last night followed by an evening at the Hobby Center for Fiddler on the Roof.

The show was very good. The last time I saw it was at the Playmill Theater in West Yellowstone. The year would have been 1975, 1976 or 1978. That's a long time ago but I still remember much of the show. It was nice to see it again. Amazingly, the lead role of Tevye was played by Topol. This guy really was Tevye! After the first act, I said to Paige that it didn't even seem like he was acting. Upon the further review, the playbill revealed that he's played the role over 2,500 times including in the 1971 movie! I've since looked up Topol's age and he's 73. He's won a couple Golden Globes and been nominated for an Academy Award. I didn't know any of this before the show but it sure came through in his performance.

What does this have to do with running? Nothing. It has to do with why I didn't run today. We got home from the show after midnight so I got a late start to the day and ended up working late too.

Now I plan to proceed to break one of the cardinal rules of training: I plan to "make up" for the missed run by doubling up tomorrow.

8 comments:

Becky A said...

awesome that you got to see the real tevye...I'm jealous. I vaguely remember going to that at the playmill, too. mom, wendy and I got stuck in the bathroom.

Diane B said...

Very fond memories of the Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone. I also recall the trip to the bathroom under the stairs! Thanks for the memories.

Shaury said...

That's cool that you got to see the real deal. I wouldn't have been born for the Yellowstone experience way way way back then, darn. And thanks for letting me know about the cardinal rule of running. I was just contemplating doing a makeup day. It's been hard not to break the 2nd biggest running mistake (according to the internet) and not train too hard too much.

pcb said...

You forgot to mention that it was me after just a few minutes that said it was the same guy as in the movie! You always steal the credit!

Cory said...

Becky & Mom -
I don't remember the Playmill bathroom incident. But it reminded up when I was looked in the bathroom on an airplane. ... I responded a lot like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy .... Not pretty!

Cory said...

Mom -

Thanks for taking us to the Playmill when we were kids.

Cory said...

Shaury -
Too bad you're too young to have joined us for all the fun stuff! ha!

If you have a schedule for your running, you shouldn't make up a messed run. There are a few reasons for this but it's mainly to prevent injury.

Another thing you should probably know is that your mileage shouldn't increase by more than 10% per week.

It's exciting when you're just starting out but just take it slow and be consistent. The body is amazing at how quickly it can adapt to the training. The key is consistency.

Cory said...

Paige -

You're awesome and everyone knows it.

You recognized Topol was playing Tevye early on (thank your mom for all the forced viewings of the movie!). Please be sure to let her know. I'm sure she'll be proud!