Saturday, April 11, 2009

Original vs. Cover, Round II

Well, here it is ... Round II of Original versus Cover. In this edition, we have Elvis and Ann-Margret teaming up in the original of You're The Boss. Elvis and Ann-Margret cut the track while filming Viva Las Vegas in 1964. The track along with two others never made it into the movie.

The cover is performed by The Brian Setzer Orchestra. Paige has suggested that this music is "way too cool" for me. But I point out that I picked up the Setzer Dirty Boogie (1998) CD many years ago after seeing Zoot Suit Revue live. At the time the "big band" sound was making a mainstream mini-comeback. I was surprised when I first listened to the CD. I hadn't heard You're The Boss before but immediately liked it. The female vocalist literally jumps off the track for me. Many of you probably recognize the distinctive pipes. She went on to tremendous success as the lead vocalist of a pop group and has since ventured off on a solo career. I'll wait until voting is over to let you know who it is ... if you don't already know.

3 comments:

pcb said...

I was all prepared to like the Elvis version better - it surprized me that I preferred the other one. I'm guessing the female voice in question is Gwen since you are so impressed with her. I kinda like this new activity that you have adopted.

Diane B said...

Elvis is KING and always will be for me!

Anonymous said...

Hard to top The King......