Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Back to the Track: 3x1 Mile

OBJECTIVE
7 mi. including
WU
3x1 mi.@ 6:24 w/800 meter jogging recovery
CD

ACHIEVED
7.89 mi. including
WU: 1.92 mi.
6:17 / 6:23 / 6:19
CD: 1.47 mi.

6:14 AM 46° 87% 4 mph

Got a late start due to being at the Astros-Cubs game last night. (Astros won 3-2 in 10 innings.)

This was one of those workouts that loom ominously …. I didn’t “feel” ready when I set out. When I got to the track, I saw Hillary ??? (her last name escapes me now) from the Klein High cross country and track teams running with a high school guy. They were running mile repeats too … as best I could tell. She’s a sophomore phenom who qualified for state cross country the last couple years. I think she may have even finished 15th at state last fall.

As usual I started too fast. I really got on top of the first mile early and just coasted in over the back half. That’s not how it’s supposed to be done. I’d rather “build” than blast out but for some reason can’t seem to get myself to execute. The blast out approach usually ends up putting me in a place where I extremely gassed when finishing the last of the repeats. This was the case today too. Although I focused on pulling it back over the second and third mile while running as-even-as-possible quarter splits.

As always, it’s great to have a tough workout in the books. Tomorrow is a leisurely five-mile easy run and I’m already looking forward to Friday’s rest day!

PRE RUN
Weight = 159
water

POST RUN
SlimFast, multivitamin, bagel sandwich including 2 poached eggs, cheddar cheese & turkey breast
Later, blueberry/cranberry juice smoothie

3 comments:

Angela said...

Some of your diet sounds really good and nutritous, other times i feel like you must be starving and craving some really "GOOD" food! You make me hungry. I'd like that smoothie and an Awesome Blossom (greasy onion with fattening dip)

Cory said...

Hey Ang!

Ya, I know my food intake probably appears pretty messed up. You're only seeing a small part of it though. I like to log it in case I feel particularly good or bad after a run ... that way I can try it again ... or not! My studies on performance nutrition suggest only small, if anything, amounts should be eaten prior to exercise. The point is only to replace glycogen. After exercise, the "pipes" are wide open as your heart is pumping hard and other organs are working to supply required nutrients. This is the best time to start refueling for the next outing. It is suggested that you eat immediately following exercise and every 30 minutes thereafter for up to 3 hours. I usually don't quite get it right but I try. You see SlimFast in my post-run eating quite a bit. That's for a couple reasons (no I'm not dieting!). First, I usually don't feel like eating right after a run but still need to fuel. It's easier to get what I need in liquid form. SlimFast is around 220 calories with the "perfect" ratio of carbs to protein (4:1) and it's low fat.

Another reason for the variation in my diet is that I've been experimenting with periodization over about the last 9 months. Lance Armstrong's trainer suggests that just like a training cycle is periodized, your diet should be periodized too. The goal is to give your body exactly what it needs during the times when you're training hardest. What I've noticed it translate into is that the sole purpose for eating when you're training is peaking is for fuel. There's no real satisfaction in eating. (Really not much fun.) I honestly can't say I've noticed much benefit from trying but I'm an experiment of only one person so it's hard to say.

More information than I'm sure you bargained for when you commented on my blog! Pass the Awesome Blossom and can I please have some bacon with that?

pcb said...

I bet Angela got more than she was looking for with that!